Roast Chickpea and Quinoa Salad
This is a perfect meal for this time of year. Be prepared by getting those leftover cooked chickpeas out of the freezer the night before, or soaking and cooking a day ahead. Tinned chickpeas can be used if you are in a rush, however try to source brands such as Eden Foods that have BPA free tins.
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Wheat Free
- 800g pumpkin
- 2 large red capsicums, cut into 1inch squares
- 2 tbspn olive oil 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red quinoa grains
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups rocket leaves or baby spinach, torn
- 2 cups chopped parsley
- 100g goats feta* ½ cup
- Budgie Mix+
Variation: You can also use white or black quinoa.
* Omit if dairy free
+ Budgie Mix is a sprinkle made by sautéing your favourite seeds in olive oil. Try pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
Recipe from “It’s All Good: Your no-stress guide to mega health!”
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Peel pumpkin and cut into bite sized cubes.
- Place pumpkin and capsicum on oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil and toss well to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Rinse quinoa grains well.
- Bring stock to the boil. Add quinoa and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sit for 10 minutes.
- To make dressing, whisk olive oil with the orange juice.
- In a large salad bowl, toss onion, tomato, chickpeas, rocket and parsley.
- Add roast vegetables, cooked quinoa, orange zest and dressing. Toss to combine.
- Crumble feta over the top and sprinkle liberally with Budgie Mix.